Saturday 15 August 2015

Cheers!

Getting a bit outside of my regular style here, but I thought this would be fun to try. I can't be rambling about the same thing over and over again for the next month now can I?

My term doesn't start until the end of September, but a great deal of students have already started or are continuing on their educational path. I wouldn't go as far as saying that this is a Back to School -post, but rather a collection of small things, beauty-related and others, to do to cheer you up during the day to stay positive and upbeat, whatever it is you'll be doing on a daily basis.


PRETTY NAILS

Essie "Fiji". My latest obsession
The first thing you do in the morning is that you aggressively slam off your alarm. Then you see your fingers and think: "Oh wow, I really love this nail polish." During the day no matter what you end up doing, every time you see your hands you'll be glad to have dedicated the time you needed to embellish your nails. This seems like an insignificant little detail, but in my opinion the details you consider unimportant, usually end up having a massive effect especially when combined with each other. It's always a thrill, tiny but no less prominent, when you find a perfect new nail polish shade to experiment with or when you let your fingertips bathe in the hue you've been adoring for years. And the act of actually applying the colour itself is extremely therapeutic and relaxing. 

I just feel like well-maintained nails are the cherry on top of every look - they instantly make your overall appearance just slightly more put together and the feeling of knowing that is what boosts your mood and confidence.



                                                                                          YOUR MORNING ROUTINE

Waking up doesn't have to suck. OK it probably will at 6am regardless of how hard you try, but the level of suckiness can be adjusted a bit closer to a minimum. When I am forced to crawl out of my nest by the universe, or my alarm but when it's that early they're pretty much the same thing, I go and wash my face feeling like I'm sleepwalking. Using lukewarm water and a nicely scented and refreshing cleanser (Pink Grapefruit by Neutrogena!) I gently rub away the first layer of fatigue on my face and begin my 60 minute journey towards catching my bus on time.

Another thing holding the VIP-card in the spotlight of my mornings is breakfast. If the idea of food and coffee fails to get me out of bed, then it's just not going to happen. I have always wondered how there can be people who can function normally without eating in the mornings. Every time I put a bit more effort in to making a tasty breakfast, the feeling of the following hours adding up to a great day gets immediately amplified. 


MAKEUP TIME

Loreal True Match foundation, Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara and Bourjois Shine Edition lipstick in "23"

I always take my time with this. I love having this time in the morning just for me to play around with colours and techniques - I'm one of those people who avoid using the expression "special occasion -makeup" as I like to think that every day is a special occasion and saying stuff like "don't wear bright pink lips to school" should be illegal. When changing my makeup looks every day, I feel like every day is going to be different as well. Maybe that's silly and untrue but if it feels like it, why not? I  believe firmly in: "Give a woman the right lipstick and she can conquer the world." On a weary day some lipgloss and highlighter make such a difference in the way you look and the way you feel. I don't put on makeup because I think I need it to look presentable, which is why I enjoy it so much. I can concentrate on the excitement of experimenting and being inspired by it every day (I talk really deeply about this in "Paint it black" July 2015 if you want to read more).


                                                                                         STAY SCENTED
Marc Jacobs "Daisy" and Taylor Swift "Wonderstruck"

Just like nail polish, a delicious perfume makes you feel confident and vibrant through the day. Spraying on the scent you know is what people remember you by, makes going out a lot more fun. Alternatively, switching your fragrance is a way to describe the mood you're in: sweet, seductive, spicy, fresh, girly, floral... The choices are endless.

Whenever you're walking on the street and a light breeze brings the scent you applied that morning back to you, it's nice to think how that gorgeous perfume making you feel like a million dollars, is what other people you encounter as the day progresses notice
about you as well.


GET OUT

After a day at school or work you feel absolutely drained and it's more than easy to just fall on the couch and stay there. Believe me, I've tried that. But some days (and I've seriously improved on this!) I manage to scoop the energy to get out of the house for a while. I never force myself to go do a 7k run if I don't feel like it, but based on my experience, even a quick walk around the neighbourhood is what can make me sleep better and therefore feel less jaded the following morning. When the day has been busy and you have had to constantly keep going, your body and mind are set on overdrive, so just put on your headphones and take some time to slow down in the fresh air before going to sleep.

These are a few things I find to keep me especially positive every day, but first and foremost when I have to wake up for school or work at the break of dawn. Finding your own cheers can take some time, and just trying out different things is the best way to figure out what works best for you. Create a morning playlist on spotify to get you going, wear pretty clothes... just do more of what makes you happy. And remember to share your positivity and eventually someone will do the same for you as well. 

Satu

10 comments:

  1. Lovely post! All the things to get you ready for your first day back :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Having pretty painted nails and a nice smelling perfume always makes me feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a nice feel-good post, made me smile~

    Also, wooo, another London-based student from Finland! :--D x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love with that nailpolish colour, so delicate! Good post, I got some happy-vibes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that :D I know it's the perfect every day colour^^

      Delete